UPDATE 23/05/22 – Our guest speaker is unable to attend for reasons beyond our control. Stay tuned for a new date for this event.
In light of the important implications for Christian Schools surrounding the Religious Discrimination Bill, the Abraham Kuyper Christian Education Association Ltd will be hosting a special guest speaker prior to the business part of our Annual General Meeting on Thursday 26 May.
Vanessa Cheng, Chief Executive Officer for the Australian Association of Christian Schools, will speak about the Religious Discrimination Bill, and the implications of the outcome of the Federal Election.
Vanessa has extensive experience working in the education and government sector as a secondary Christian school teacher and a project manager in the Victorian Department of Education. She has also held senior policy roles within the Victorian Department of Premier and Cabinet and the Federal Department of Employment and Workplace Relations. She holds a Graduate Diploma in Education as well as a Bachelor of Economics/Arts from Monash University, majoring in History and Politics. She is a member of Holy Trinity Anglican Church and lives in Bendigo with her husband and their five teenage children.
The Australian Association of Christian Schools is an advocacy organisation representing the interests of over a hundred Christian schools in every State and Territory. For further information on their work regarding the Religious Discrimination Bill and the upcoming election, visit their website or see the links below.
The Religious Discrimination Bill has the potential to profoundly impact the freedom of Christian schools to sustain our Christian distinctive. We encourage all Association Members and other interested parents to join us for this important discussion.
- From 6:15pm, join Vanessa and our Board for a light meal.
- 7:00 – 8:00pm, Guest Speaker: Vanessa Cheng Q& A session.
For catering purposes, please RSVP by Monday 23 May, with any dietary requirements.
- Australian Association of Christian Schools
- AACS Religious Discrimination Update to Member Schools
- 2022 Federal Election: Comparison of Major Party Policies: where the parliamentary parties stand on issues important to Christian schools.
- National Survey of Election Candidates: where individual candidates stand on religious freedom.
- Religious Discrimination Bill Voting Record: how individual MPs voted on the Religious Discrimination Bill