As a result of the recent severe weather in many parts of NSW, some mosquito-born illnesses have begun to appear. To avoid mosquito bites and prevent infection, NSW Health advises the following:
- cover-up while outside with loose, light-coloured clothing and covered footwear,
- avoid being outdoors at dawn and dusk,
- apply insect repellent on exposed skin that contains DEET, picaridin, or oil of lemon eucalyptus,
- use insecticide sprays, vapour dispensing units and mosquito coils to repel mosquitos,
- cover openings such as windows and doors with insect screens,
- remove water-holding containers outside your house where mosquitoes can breed.