Homework Insights #1

Homework & You by Bill Rusin

Homework is an opportunity for children to learn and enrich their education and it can give parents a greater stake in the learning process. Parents are most important in making homework a spark that encourages a child to learn. Parents do this simply by being interested and available. However, engaging with homework can be stressful for parents. Here are some questions I am familiar with, as an educator:

• How can I get John to do his homework; all he wants to do is play on the computer and watch TV?
  • Why isn’t Rachel getting more homework?
  • David is involved in so many things like sport, youth group and helping at home that he doesn’t have time to do much homework.
  • How can I help Amy with her Maths; even I don’t understand it?
  • Does homework really do any good?

Over the next few weeks I will look at some ways in which parents can help, and not get stressed!

Latest Posts

A Word from Elizabeth Porter

There are times when it’s okay not to be okay, and have a good cry. This advertisement challenged me though, to “remember whose daughter you are”, and to fight on. I’d like to consider whose daughter I am on two levels.

Read More »

COVID-19 Update 18

Secondary students may collect learning resources from school on Monday, 26 July. Find out how to collect your resources here.

Read More »

A Letter from our Chaplain, Mr H

“We know that God is always at work for the good of everyone who loves him.” I am also here if you need prayer, or if you want to just have a chat. Feel free to send me an email. from Mike Hottinger (Chaplain)

Read More »

WHOKing with Google Meet

School@home means that we all need to learn how to engage with one another online in ways that promote a supportive, inclusive and effective learning environment.

Read More »